Blazor and the future of .NET web apps
The arrival of WebAssembly begins a new era for .NET web developers, allowing client-side applications written in C# to run directly in the browser. Blazor is a newly emerging client-side UI platform from the ASP.NET Core team, offering a productive and powerful way to construct large-scale applications with a modern component-based architecture. It integrates with the wider.NET ecosystem to enable truly full-stack client+server development on a single language and runtime, based on modern standards, and able to run in any browser (including mobiles).
This workshop -- led Jeremy Likness -- will quickly take you from getting started with Blazor basics, right through to building sophisticated UIs using more advanced framework features. We'll explore not only the capabilities of Blazor and WebAssembly today, but also the longer-term vision for the future of web apps on .NET. This will include:
- Getting started with Blazor
- Component features, including displaying/editing data, parameters, event handling, dependency injection, templated components, client-side routing, layouts, etc.
- Integrating with native browser APIs or JS libraries
- Integrating with backend data services and API endpoints
- Building and using custom component libraries
- Security and authorization
- Alternate hosting models, including server-side execution and Electron apps
Attendees will need to bring a laptop with the following setup:
- Windows: Visual Studio 2017, including latest updates
- Mac/Linux: VS Code
Note that Windows + Visual Studio 2017 is preferable, as the technology is still under development and the VS-based tooling is more capable than the VS Code tooling today (though we're working on closing that gap!).
Jeremy Likness is an internationally-selling author, keynote speaker and professional coder with a personal mission to empower developers to be their best. He has worked on commercial enterprise software for 25 years and specializes in web technology. Jeremy is a cloud advocate for Microsoft and lives with his wife, parrot, and German Shepherd near Seattle, WA. In his free time he enjoys running, hiking, and shooting 9-ball and one pocket. Follow him on his blog: https://blog.jeremylikness.com/