Machine Learning from the Cloud to the IoT
Machine Learning and the IoT are a match made in heaven. After all, IoT devices collect mountains of sensor data, what better way to uncover insights and actions than through sophisticated, modern computing methods like ML and AI?
The problem is, leveraging ML with IoT has historically meant backhauling all your sensor data to the Cloud. When the cloud is involved, security is a concern, and in the realm of IoT, security is often a dirty word.
In this workshop, you’ll learn how to leverage the power of Machine Learning on Edge Devices and build secure, cloud-independent IoT applications.
Section 1: The Basics of Machine Learning
Session 1: Demystifying AI, ML, etc.
- Lab 1: Building your first ML Model
- Session 2: ML models for Complex Data: CNNs and LSTMs
- Lab 2: Building a CNN for Image Recognition
Section 2: The Basics of IoT
- Session 1: Introducing the Blues Wireless Ecosystem
- Lab 1: Claiming your first Device
- Session 2: Working with Sensors and Actuators to collect data
- Lab 2: Working with Sensor Data
Section 3: ML and the IoT
- Session 1: Why ML and the IoT
- Session 2: ML at the Edge with Single Board Computers (SBCs)
- Lab 2: Building ML Models for Edge Inferencing
- Lab 3: Inferencing on SBCs
- Session 3: ML at the Edge with Microcontrollers (MCUs)
- Lab 4: Building ML Models for Microcontrollers
- Lab 5: Inferencing on MCUs
Section 4: The future of ML and the IoT
- Session 4: What's next for ML on the Edge?
- Lab 1: Hacking Challenge and Free Exploration
Attendees will need to bring a laptop with the following installed:
- Visual Studio Code - https://code.visualstudio.com/download
- PlatformIO IDE extension for VS Code - https://platformio.org/
- Python 3.6 or greater - https://python.org
- Node.js - https://nodejs.org
- Edge Impulse CLI (npm install -g edge-impulse-cli)
- Chromium-based web browser (e.g. latest version of Chrome, Edge, Brave)
- Set up a free account on Blues Wireless Notehub @ notehub.io
- Set up a free account on Edge Impulse Studio @ studio.edgeimpulse.com
Brandon is the Director of Developer Experience at Blues Wireless, the founder of Carrot Pants Press, a maker education and publishing company, and an avid tinkerer and maker.
Rob Lauer is Developer Relations Lead at Blues Wireless and has a passion for Machine Learning, the IoT, and the open web. You can find Rob rambling as @RobLauer on Twitter.