DevOps in two days with IaC, Azure, GitHub Actions and Octopus Deploy
Join us for a hands-on session learning about core CI/CD concepts and best practices. Review real-world release management and automation problems and discover how to overcome them using Azure, GitHub Actions, and Octopus Deploy.
- Jun 20Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (MCEC)2 days07:00 - 15:00 UTCDerek CampbellPeter Gallagher1 790 AUD
During the workshop, you use a sample repository and build it locally in Visual Studio. We then walk you through building the application, testing it in GitHub Actions, configuring the release, and passing the artifact to Octopus Deploy for deployment.
You get access to provisioning infrastructure in Azure, building a GitHub Actions workflow, and creating an Octopus Cloud instance. You use these tools to configure and prepare a build. Then you release and deploy a sample application from dev to test to production.
We’ll introduce you to:
- Octopus Cloud
- GitHub and GitHub Actions
- Microsoft Azure
- Building your .NET 6 multi-tier application using GitHub Actions
- GitHub Actions builder
- Setting up your application to pass packages to Octopus Deploy from GitHub
- Octopus deployments and Config as Code
- Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and how to add infrastructure in Octopus Deploy
- Creating Azure Web Apps & SQL PaaS in Azure via IaC
- Administration of GitHub Actions, Octopus Deploy, and Azure
- Multi-Tenancy, channels, lifecycles, and spaces
- Common deployment patterns including canary, blue/green, and red/black
Who should attend:
- Developers, Ops, and DevOps Engineers starting on their CI/CD journey
- Software engineers looking for fresh ideas
- Anyone using an older version of Octopus who wants a refresher
- Free Azure or MSDN Subscription with access to create an Azure Service Principal (we advise against a corporate subscription)
- Email address to spin up your free Octopus instance
- GitHub account
Laptop with Windows and the following software:
- Visual Studio Code
- NET Framework 6.0+
Derek has worked across the world in London, Melbourne, Singapore and now from home in Glasgow, Scotland, for Octopus Deploy as a CI/CD Architect in the Customer Success team. Derek works with and helps Octopus Deploy’s biggest clients with their CI/CD pipeline and helps enable their success with Octopus Deploy.
Pete Gallagher is a Senior Solutions Architect at Octopus Deploy, owner of PJG Creations Ltd, a Microsoft Certified Trainer and Azure MVP, Pluralsight Author, experienced public speaker and Meetup organiser.
He has been creating software for decades and is happy programming in just about any language.
Pete has been involved in a wide span of tech in his many years of industry experience, including IoT Projects for; Royal Mail Stamp Vending before there was such a thing as modern IoT, Building Monitoring Systems, Internet Connected Self Service Kiosks and much more.
In his role at Octopus Deploy, Peter helps engage the public in the areas of DevOps, Cloud Infrastructure, Software Deployment , Agile Development and much more.
He has presented internationally on a wide variety of IoT Topics, including the Azure IoT Stack, AI, Robotics, .NET, DevOps, Amazon Alexa, Particle Photon, Arduino etc etc.
Pete helped create the Microsoft AZ220 IoT Developer certification and also had created Pluralsight content to help learners pass the exam.
Pete also organises Notts IoT, co-organises Dot Net Notts, Notts Dev Workshop, sits on the Board of LATi, a Loughborough based Advanced Technology networking group, co-organises the Azureish Twitch channel, co-hosts IoTeaLive and is a co-host of the Agile Engineering Podcast.
He is also an active STEM Ambassador and is passionate about making STEM subjects accessible to all ages.
Pete particularly likes gadgets of all kinds!